Your shopping cart is empty!
Ancho Espresso Beer Braised Short Ribs
Posted by 05/08/2018 0 Comment(s) Riverway Mike's Saturday Recipes on the BGE,
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 4 poundsbone-in beef short ribs (cut into eight pieces)
- 2 carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and smashed)
- 1 bottle of Stout Chocolate or Coffee Flavored Beer
- 2 Cups tomato sauce
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 bunch oregano
- Lanes BBQ Ancho Espresso Rub (enough to thoroughly coat all sides of the ribs)
- Big Green Egg set up for direct cooking, lid open. Establish a good fire.
- Season the short ribs generously with Lanes BBQ Ancho Espress Rub.
- Heat a Lodge Cast Iron Dutch oven over high heat on your Egg. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil until hot. Add the short ribs and sear on all sides. Remove from pan and drain fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, carrots, onion and celery and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Deglaze the pan with the beer, scraping with a wooden spoon to remove the brown bits. Reduce the beer by half and then add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Add the short ribs back to the pan along with the fresh herbs.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover with lid. Remove from Egg.
- Set up your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking at 275 degrees with Plate setter in, legs up, cooking grid on top.(using the Plate Setter in this manner helps to lower the temp. of the Egg)
- Return your Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven to the Egg and cook approx. 2 to 2 1/2 hr. or until meat is falling off of the bone. Allow to cool slightly before serving.